Re: What's with cityrail?

Fair complaint; I agree totally with everything you say. Just the bit about
the magic button - been to Japan? In Tokyo, they mark on the platforms where
the doors stop. The train arrives on time to the second and the doors
perfectly aligned with the markings. The guard pushes people in and out of
the train in the few seconds it stops, and it then takes off again. I
believe this is achived with computers now, but a few years ago drivers were
sacked for being a couple of metres out. And in that rare event of a
breakdown or delay, the system gets back to normal quickly. I have personal
experience of being on a packed commuter train that was delayed in Tokyo. A
"signal failure" (accoring to my uncle/translator) halted the train for as
much as 2 minutes. It caught up on that time in the next few stops without
resorting to shortcuts like our aussie system.

Magic button exists! Pity it's in Japan, not here, eh? MAybe we could swap
some double deck trains (which JNR desperately need for their crowding
situation) for some computer technology. Any Japanese in here?

Brendan

"Neil D B" <anb727@hotmail.com> wrote in message
85gb8k$q8m$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:85gb8k$q8m$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Well I think the biggest problem with the public`s opinion of the railways
> is that, the public just do not understand what is involved with running a
> railway. All the public really think is that a driver pushes 1 button and
the
> train goes and stop automatically. Ive heard such rediculous assumptions
from
> the public that I have literally laughed in their faces once Ive heard
them.
> Now I am an ETR driver and I am speaking now from the drivers point of
view.
> I do not represent anyone and this is all my opinion. At Hornsby station
on
> platforms 1 & 2, these platforms are extremely tight to fit an 8 car train
> fully on them. The problem is, the driver has to pull the train right up
so
> that the trip is only a few inches away from the trip arm on the ground.
If
> you fall short by about a foot, the trains rear end will be hanging over
the
> block joint, and therefore tracklock the signalbox from doing any
manouvres
> until the train is off of that block joint. Now at a busy place like
Hornsby,