Re: What's with cityrail?

Neil D B <anb727@my-deja.com> wrote in message
85gt9q$7e8$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:85gt9q$7e8$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Alot of drivers have different methods as to when they should start
> braking for certain stations. Alot of us find a landmark, such as a
> bridge or a sign, or even a service station on the highway etc, we know
> that once we past that point, we usually can judge how much braking we
> need for that particular station. I find Pymble coming down from
> Hornsby hard to stop at. Because its geographical location is hard to
> judge (it is situated after a rather lengthy left hand bend and is
> downhill), I usually coast down the hill at 80kph down the straight from
> Turramurra and once I go under the last overhead road bridge on that
> straight before the left hand curve, I usually apply 4 notches of brakes
> and keep it there, and youll usually find that it brings you into Pymble
> station nice and easy for a smooth stop. Now I was taught that
> particular technique by my driver trainer, and being based at Penrith
> depot, I was up and down the North Shore like a brides nightie. So,
> every station is different, some are harder than others, and you just
> learn that after even a few months on the road.
>  You suspect our hours are quite long, well on average our hours are
> about 7-8 hours long. We cannot work any longer than 8h33min, but due
> to workplace agreements and stuff, that MAY change in the future, but
> thats another story which Ill gladly keep out of.
>  If you have any more questions, just reply.

It's the same down here in Melbourne, as I guess it would be everywhere
else. You know when to put the brake on and that initial application is a
good indicator as to whether you are going to stop or not, likewise each
type of brake reacts differently, as does each train, but as you said Neil
you soon learn what works and what doesn't. An example is when leaving
Mitcham on the up towards Nunawading I power until just past the shut off
board and coast until about 100 metres before the auto entering Nunawading
as it is downhill here and the train will soon let you know whether you stop
to pick up or end up being laughed at by the passengers who can't get off
because you have a whole car off the platform and they have to walk through
the communication door.Touch wood I haven't done it here yet but that'snot
to say I haven't done it elsewhere, a brief lack in concentration and
judgement spells disaster, more so if you are on the air.

Regards Wizzer
--
If at first you don't succeed, get someone else to do it :-)