Re: What's with cityrail?

In article <85muhv$mbn$1@news1.mpx.com.au>,
  "Dave Proctor" <thadocta@spambait.dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
> Nihonga wrote in message <01ebce32.cbc05753@usw-ex0102-012.remarq.com>...
>
> >That's basically not good enough. Can you imagine if something like
> >that happened in the aviation industry? "Sorry I messed up, I thought I
> >was in a 747, not a 737".
>
> Would not happen, as aircrew have to be qualified for different aircraft
> types, as well as the fact that different aircraft react to control inputs
> totally differently. Although Airbus are starting to change this via
> cross-certification of crews amongst A319/320/321 and A330/340 crews, which
> are all fly-by-wire.
>
> An 8 car train, on the other hand, would be totally indistinguishable to the
> driver from a 6 or 4 car train.
>
> >The average commutter pays $1500 a year on fares and to simply say one
> >forgot or didn't realise how many carriages his/her train has is not
> >right.
>
> I think you are being a tad harsh here. If a service is rostered for a
> six-car set, and the (new) driver jumps in at the end of the platform (the
> 4/6/8 car mark) unless he is told otherwise he has no reason to think it is
> NOT a six car set.
>
> The guard was at fault for not belling him forward.
>
> Dave

 Anyone can make mistakes, and believe me Ive made my fair share of them. I
do not blame any driver whatsoever if he has just done 2 laps around
bankstown in a C set (chopper set, 6 cars) and the next leg on his diagram
says to go up the Nth Shore, and a K set pulls in or whatever (K sets have
very similiar driving cabs as C sets), your day has been a boring all
stations trip around Bankstown twice, and now you have an all stations trip
up the Nth Shore and back, out of habit, youve just been looking at around
60-80 6 car markers around Bankstown, you start doing the same going up the
shore, and you just simply forget. Now I know it sounds bad to the public
that the driver "forgets" but the public DO NOT understand the surrounding
circumstances. They do not know you may be dying for a crib break after 4 and
half hours driving. They do not know youve done 2 laps around Bankstown. All
the public think is that the driver has to just push a button, and the train
stops automatically. If the public would just stop and think for once, thatll
make the drivers job alot more easier. -- CityRail driver, and big fan of HO
and 5", 71/4" guage trains. My opinions are from myself and I do not
represent any company, person, animal, object.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.