Re: [Geelong] Free bus, maybe trams

Actually it wasn't so much the opposition which kept the tram open in Ballarat
and Bendigo for so long - it was the Country Party who voted with the labour
opposition.  It was only when the Liberals got a majority in their own right
that they could get the closure bill through both houses of parliament without
the support of the Country party.

As for Sovereign Hill, if this proposal ever gets going the route would be quite
different from any of the old tram routes because they didn't run that direction
(although Mount Pleasant was close), and as Johm McCallum says Bridge Street is
now a Pedestrian Mall.

It would be lovely to see such an operation - Ballarat is such an elegant city
and it's hard to imagine a better setting for Edwardian era trams, but I fear
the project is just a bit too ambitious, and it may founder on the rocks of
finance.