Re: [Geelong] Free bus, maybe trams

Chris Brownbill wrote:

> Actually there's quite a lot of agitation in Ballarat to re-institute Trams as a
> tourist service to connect the railway Station, downtown and Sovereign Hill.

Now it's a long time since I was in Ballarat. Which former line is
Sovereign Hill on? Was it Sebastopol or Lydiard St North  (or another
altogether) ?

What's happened to the museum tramline around Lake Wendouree?

> The argument goes that since the highway bypass was opened four or five years
> ago the trams would no longer be an impediment to road traffic (which was one of
> the stated reasons for their abandonment in 1971).

There wasn't any traffic to speak of in Ballarat in 1971, whether on the
roads, or on the trams. They ran so empty that I marvelled they lasted
so long (though I do recall riding once on a packed single trucker to
the Gardens, but there was some special tourist event on).

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand