Re: What's with cityrail?

Nihonga wrote in message <01ebce32.cbc05753@usw-ex0102-012.remarq.com>...

>That's basically not good enough. Can you imagine if something like
>that happened in the aviation industry? "Sorry I messed up, I thought I
>was in a 747, not a 737".

Would not happen, as aircrew have to be qualified for different aircraft
types, as well as the fact that different aircraft react to control inputs
totally differently. Although Airbus are starting to change this via
cross-certification of crews amongst A319/320/321 and A330/340 crews, which
are all fly-by-wire.

An 8 car train, on the other hand, would be totally indistinguishable to the
driver from a 6 or 4 car train.

>The average commutter pays $1500 a year on fares and to simply say one
>forgot or didn't realise how many carriages his/her train has is not
>right.

I think you are being a tad harsh here. If a service is rostered for a
six-car set, and the (new) driver jumps in at the end of the platform (the
4/6/8 car mark) unless he is told otherwise he has no reason to think it is
NOT a six car set.

The guard was at fault for not belling him forward.

Dave