Re: What's with cityrail?

In article <387E45B1.79C4D895@ozemail.com.au>, David Johnson
<trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Tony Paton wrote:
> > This morning the driver
> > left two carriages hanging off the end of the platform at
> st-leonards.
> > despite the shouts from the people who wanted to get off, the
> guard
> > shut the doors and took off.
> That is an easy mistake to make.  If you have been driving 6 car
> sets all day and
> you get an 8 car set, you can forget about the extra 2 cars
> occasionally.  I was

How can you say easy? What sort of service does city rail run? FYI it
was  in the morning and he stopped ok at the other 15 stations before.

> pass on a train where the driver got relieved at Mortdale Car
> Sheds.  It was a 6 car
> roster, but they had put 8 cars on it.  The driver getting
> relieved had forgotten to
> tell him that there were 8 cars, to at Mortdale, we stopped at the
> 6 car marker,
> with two cars hanging out the back.
> > next stop norht sydney (where I get out).
> > A guard was going into the last two carriages with a hand-held
> radio.
> > The people who wanted to get off a SL told the train guard off.
> I would have too.  If the train stops short, it is the guard's
> responsibility to
> give the driver the bell signal to draw forward.

That's basically not good enough. Can you imagine if something like
that happened in the aviation industry? "Sorry I messed up, I thought I
was in a 747, not a 737".
The average commutter pays $1500 a year on fares and to simply say one
forgot or didn't realise how many carriages his/her train has is not
right.