Re: Deary deary me ...

Tony Paton wrote:

> I live less than 100m from a rail line at it has nevered annoyed me.
> Sure the freight trains at night are loud but they usually send you to
> sleep!!
> No one in our area has ever complained about the noise.
> Just like airports...
>
>                \

I live right beside the Adelaide-Melbourne line on the urban fringes of
Adelaide.  We have two tracks, the SG to Melbourne and the BG for the
local suburban service.  Prior to the creation of National Rail it was
bearable, even enjoyable.  Now things have changed.

There are five main operators running trains past here.  Firstly
TransAdelaide run the DMU's on the local service on the BG, they are
hardly noticeable.  The last train is just after midnight, I'm often not
in bed at that time and the first service in the morning is at 0615
while I'm out for my daily run.

National Rail run regular services, mostly with NR's but with occasional
BL's, DL's, the odd AN and a few others.  They are whisper quiet.  The
rolling stock also makes very little or no wheel squeal.

GSR run the Overland and once a week the Ghan.  The Overland is hauled
by BL's (usually BL 33 and BL 27, both in SteelLink Blue at the
moment).  I haven't seen the Ghan come through as yet to know what is
heading that.  the Overland is usually quiet as well.

Freight Victoria run services with G's.  Again quite quiet and little or
no wheel squeal at all.  All quite bearable, hardly noticeable and often
when late at night rather soothing.

The other operator is ASR on the Patrick's services to Melbourne.  These
are hauled by a variety of GM's, CLP's and CLF's.  They are as noisy as
hell, often audible for many minutes either side of here and the wheel
squeal is often deafening.  Their trains seem to be louder faster and
the rolling stock less well maintained judging by the amount of racket
it makes.  The sooner they go broke the better.

If anyone knows who I should complain to please let me know.

Jackson

Jackson & Jo Harding
email:  jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au
mobile: 0412 793 587 (Jackson)