Re: "lost" trains

> > No, it couldn't.
> >
> > Some of the people I work with implement rail GPS locations systems
> > and have determined, again as recently a 6 months ago, that it CANNOT
> > now reliably do so under Australian conditions for railway purposes
> > and is unlikley to do it anytime soon.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Bill

I think you are not realising that a lot of things can happen in 6 months. A
long time in the computer industry is a few hours. Soon in the computer
industry is measured in days or weeks depending on how fast something can be
made and programmed.
 You are also not realising that it can be MADE suitable to Australian
conditions. They do it all the time. With a small modification the system
could be used even between central and strathfield. All it requires is smart
programming and some fixed GPS trasmitters at places where a normal beacon
on a train could not operate eg: in a tunnel. If these things can control
aircraft, car speed, and tell a blind person where he is within the metre,
they can be used for railways.
I dont think GPS is far off being usable. It has drawbacks but so does any
system.

Brendan

Brendan