Re: "lost" trains

Bill Bolton wrote:

> "nobody" <dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In this case it could have told the driver what was in front of his train
> > before finding out hte hard way.  This would not have been used in 1990 but
> > in 1999 it is cheaper and more accurate and reliable.
>
> No, it couldn't.
>
> Some of the people I work with implement rail GPS locations systems
> and have determined, again as recently a 6 months ago, that it CANNOT
> now reliably do so under Australian conditions for railway purposes
> and is unlikley to do it anytime soon.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill

Why not?

Simply put this is not good enough.  If you can put an aircraft
traveling at 160 kts onto the centreline of a runway in a heavy fog (I
have seen this done, while sitting in the co-pilots seat of an aircraft
fitted with DGPS) then you can tell the position of a train.  Is it
because as I suspect there is not DGPS coverage in more remote parts of
the country or what?

Jackson
Jackson & Jo Harding
email:  jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au