Re: "lost" trains

GPS is accurate within the metre and is being tested in britain to control
car speed. The satellite knows where the car is within the metre and when it
drives into a section with a lower speed limit the satelite triggers a
signal in the car to reduce fuel supply and slow it down. In the car it is
also used as an electronic map, accuately telling the driver where they are
and where they have to go to get to a specific location.
In this case it could have told the driver what was in front of his train
before finding out hte hard way. This would not have been used in 1990 but
in 1999 it is cheaper and more accurate and reliable. NR uses it I believe
for communication. Cuttings and tunnels dont matter as long as they are not
too deep, as beacons broadcast up to the satellite regardless, and broadcast
devices could be installed in tunnels. It could also be used as a proximity
warning.

Brendan

rvs57sgbegfklcm55q9cr0eausulpihatd@4ax.com">news:rvs57sgbegfklcm55q9cr0eausulpihatd@4ax.com...