Re: [Melb] Tram Derailment

A. Tubbs wrote:

> Tram 41 involved in the derailment at Glenferrie & Malvern was operating the
> last down rte 72 sevice to Camberwell. The tram operator allegedly
> approached the junction which was set for Glenferrie road and failed to stop
> to change the points derailed on the curve and collided with various objects
> (ie chemist shop power pole and fire hydrant).

Good lord, what was he doing, speeding up in the hope of beating a red
light?

> The incident is currently being investigated by Swanston Trams.

I bet it is. One hopes Lou and his gang of thugs do not support drivers
who engage in this kind of mishap.

Are the auto-points at this junction yet? My latest map (from the 1993
Destination City) still shows them as manually operated which sounds
logical given their use only for depot running. Surely drivers must be
under instructions to slow to check that manual points are set in their
favour?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand