Re: Digital Cameras

On Sat, 05 Feb 2000 19:25:11 +0100, Andrew Price
<aprice@mail.dotcom.fr> tweaked a mouse's tail to post:

>On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:54:37 GMT, jtbell@presby.edu (Jon Bell) wrote:
>
>>One concern that I have about digital cameras has to do with the number of
>>pictures I take on a long trip.  It's easy to take along several rolls of
>>film, and if I run out, I can easily buy more film on the road.  How would
>>it look from the cost standpoint to stock up on enough memory cards to
>>accommodate a couple hundred pictures?  I don't have a laptop computer to
>>take along for picture storage.
>
>That occurred to me too, but I see that Sony has a model which stores
>its pictures on floppies.  Does anyone know how it compares with the
>other cameras which use expensive memory cards?

It depends upon you intended final use.

I've owned one of the Mavica cameras, and loved it. I intend to
upgrade to the FD91 because of its slightly better resolution and 14x
stabilized lens. I will still carry and record images for prints or
publication with 35mm. The Mavica will be shot for the web and smaller
images - it produces a nice 4x5 - but not much more.

One of the side benefits is that I can shoot as much as I want with
the floppies, save the images to my MO drive, and re-use the floppies.
Total storage ('film') cost is far less than 1¢ per image. 6,000
images on an MO (or CD!) at an average of 100 K each. The 'new' FD91
will probably reduce that to 5,000 images per MO disk. <G>