Digital Cameras

Can anyone advise me on a replacement for my excellent twenty year-old
German single-lens reflex camera, which has become unusable because
the battery it uses is no longer manufactured.

I had thought of purchasing a digital camera, but I was told by
someone who bought one about a year ago that although it sufficed for
his web-site needs, the image quality was not brilliant.

Have digital cameras improved since, or would it be better investing
the same money in yet another SLR and a slide scanner?