Re: A little touch of Santa Fe in Australia (short!)

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> For the traditionalists, the thoughts must have passed through their heads
> that rail 'preservation' as we knew it was doomed. With all the mention of
> headboards, WCR liveried BK cars in Victoria, the supposed demise of wooden
> rollingstock one would only wonder. But for the range of diverse minded
> people, the initial shock most probably wore off pretty quickly, with an
> eventual liking for what was happening.

If I hadn't found out that it was only a temporary colour scheme, I wouldn't
have renewed my membership to Steamrail. I think it would have been better if
the railfan community had recieved a bit more notice and explanation of this
livery choice, especially since Steamrail have been saying for a while that
S313 would be repainted in the VR livery.

> By Bendigo I was in the AK, together with a few other people. The AK car
> has certainly changed my mind on the use of K cars in tours. If we got rid
> of the dreaded BK cars, and/or converted them to BKL or AK style
> compartment cars, there would be many more happy souls.

I agree that the AK and the BKL are much better than the BK. I think Steamrail
should have a compartment option so people who book early enough can get into
them.

> BK's were hired by VR in the 70's anyway, so why not have a VR livery on
> them as they did back then. Or should they remain in a livery that once
> existed on them while in real service, in SA, I don't know. Wooden E/W cars
> would still be a nice alternative though :)

As Steamrail is a Victorian preservation group, the blue and gold livery would
be the best one. It is authentic and it matches their other steel
rollingstock.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: