A little touch of Santa Fe in Australia (long)

As it would pull into Spencer Street, platform 8, no-one would suspect that
it would have appeared in any livery other than perhaps a VR or modified VR
livery. What we were in fore instead was a touch of Santa Fe.

S313 ran around her train just before 8am, and all was revealed. There she
stood with a blue and gold version of a Santa Fe livery. Most people were
in shock, many enjoyed it, many didn't - there were certainly mixed
reactions.

For the traditionalists, the thoughts must have passed through their heads
that rail 'preservation' as we knew it was doomed. With all the mention of
headboards, WCR liveried BK cars in Victoria, the supposed demise of wooden
rollingstock one would only wonder. But for the range of diverse minded
people, the initial shock most probably wore off pretty quickly, with an
eventual liking for what was happening.

One of the five passenger cars on this train was about as close as you
could get to original VR condition, this being the BRS. In the consist was
an AK, BKL, BK, BRS and not to forget the Norman car. There was also a
brief appearance of T356, while the train was being brought from Newport.

Eleven minutes late, we left Spencer Street, making up time by Essendon. At
some places we were ahead of time from this point. The BK I resided in
crunched and bounced around as we hit higher speeds, but I confided in
them, knowing they weren't made out of wood [add smiley here]

[insert 2 photostops here]

At Echuca, all the gunzels, and non gunzels alike were released into the
bustling little down. We elected for photographing two of the three RT's,
then the three Freight Vic locos that resided. After this, moving on down
to the historical 'port' of Echuca. Having completed a quick stay there, we
moved on to Moama. I needed NSW (though I am visiting there in a week and a
half).

By around 3pm, all the gunzels and non gunzels alike were rounded up once
again for a slow trip to Bendigo, where we would speed up to Castlemaine.
>From Castlemaine, we would once again slow down for poor track conditions
between there and Maryborough. Oh, and did I mention that we slowed down
for a track buckle on the Echuca-Bendigo line?

By Bendigo I was in the AK, together with a few other people. The AK car
has certainly changed my mind on the use of K cars in tours. If we got rid
of the dreaded BK cars, and/or converted them to BKL or AK style
compartment cars, there would be many more happy souls.

BK's were hired by VR in the 70's anyway, so why not have a VR livery on
them as they did back then. Or should they remain in a livery that once
existed on them while in real service, in SA, I don't know. Wooden E/W cars
would still be a nice alternative though :)

[insert another couple of photostops here]

At Maryborough we next stopped. Over the radio it was heard that the stop
was only to be 5 minutes to pick up dinner. Some daring gunzels armed with
their cameras got out, but almost immediately got ordered back on the
train. A few minutes later, it was heard over the radio that the stop will
be a tad longer, and to release the gunzels once again. Gunzels and non
gunzels alike were let off their chain once again.

Rumour had it, the delay was because the roast dinners ordered by some, had
not arrived yet and weren't expected to arrive for a while, so the time was
increased to about 15 minutes. The announcement then hit, we were to be
stuck in Maryborough until after 8pm. This gave the opportunity for a few
people and myself to run off and purchase a nice greasy dinner of KFC, and
for other gunzels to let heads roll over this dramatic change in schedule.

After arriving back from the greaseball burger dive, I stood around outside
along with many other gunzels (and not forgetting non gunzels) who had
nothing better to do, having already taken their photos. A gentleman
approached me at one point, and asked me if it was a scanner that I had in
my hand. After answering yes, he went on to explain to me that he wanted to
listen in and find out who the controller was at that time. He then went on
to explain that on Monday heads were to roll in the train control
department, because a freight was let through before us - the cause of our
45 minute delay.

Nevertheless, we ended up leaving Maryborough around 40-45 minutes late,
and literally flew to Ballarat, then onto Melbourne. This fairly uneventful
leg of the journey saw the day away, with us arriving in Melbourne no more
than about 5 minutes late. We had gained 35-40 minutes since Maryborough.
The final photostop, which was also on this leg was cancelled, owing to how
dark it was getting, perhaps this saved a lot of time.

Over the day, lots of alcohol was consumed. One would wonder if alcohol
sales for the day, were higher than the MCG in one year. One certain person
was witnessed having a photo taken, with plastic spoons hanging out of just
about every orifice on their head (ears, nose, mouth) - he was barely
standing too. For many people the choice of alcoholic and non alcoholic
accomodation was a good one.

Now for the Santa Fe livery. It was explained in detail on the notes stuck
up at the end of each car, that this livery was only temporary, at least
until the point that B72 was released from restoration. S313 was in
desparate need of a new paint job, so this was to be it, for the time
being. Once B72 is released from restoration, S313 would then go in for a
complete overhaul, while at the same time being repainted into it's former
VR livery.

Having a look back at photos that other people took on the day (mine need
to be developed yet), if you weren't preservation minded, the train looked
great with it's consist of Santa Fe S class and Explorer liveried SA K
cars. At least there wasn't a gigantic full frontal headboard, like the
hissing kettles have. I can quite accept something on the side of the
train, and maybe even the locomotive. More people see the name this way,
too.

Regards
Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski
Email: mk@netstra.com.au

Children in the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause children.