Re: Goodbye Overland - We All Let You Down!

Freight_man wrote in message <878o4l$7u8$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...

>might be only a 10 hour trip, but after travelling on one from Ballarat
>recently [absolutely no way of avoiding the trip as the trains were
replaced
>by buses]  I would pay $60 for the train, to avoid the torture you need to
>endure on a bus. They are rough, you are constantly subjected to forward
and
>rearward forces as the bus moves with the flow, cornering is bloody awful,
>and I was locked into a window seat , holding one arm in the air the whole
>way, as their was no room to put it on the shared single armrest. The Fat
>lady occupying the aisle kept hissing at me, every time I tried to lower
it.
>Yes I guess I would save $5 and spend an extra couple of hours chatting
with
>friendly passengers, and enjoying a few hours sampling the local brew..
F***
>your buses! And despite the recent problems in Sydney, I will arrive, and
in
>much better condition than you on your bus.

Well well, someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

The backpacker market is price sensitive and comfort insensitive - if they
can save a dollar, they will. I saw them one day complaining about a fare
increase, when they booked 2 weeks earlier but were only then picking up
their tickets - the increase? $2.

As for the rest of your diatribe, it can be much the same in peasant class
on any train around the country - I have been from Perth to Darwin by bus
(in one hit too - took 3  nights) and Perth to Sydney in coach calss on the
Indian Pacific - I know what I prefer, and it is NOT the Indian Pacific. I
have also suffered similiar experiences to your bus trip on the Sunlander in
Queensland (I did not get in early enough to book a single seat in the old
first class carriage).

Dave