Re: Goodbye Overland - We All Let You Down!

Greg Triplett wrote in message <38957F4B.C0FAB5A3@hotkey.net.au>...
>Hi folks,
>

>>> I remember some years ago some railfans & Rail Executives(Non-Govt)
were using Ansett instead of the Overland because of cost.  I then knew that
when they don't patronise it, who will!!<<

>I lived in Adelaide during the early 80's and made many
>trips to Melbourne. I made one trip on the Overland
>whereupon I decided it was slow, dirty and uncomfortable.

Careful - Jack will tell you that you have to cut them some slack, since the
staff are overworked, underpaid, using life-expired equipment on outdated
infrastructure.

Or at least, that is what he says to people who have the nerve to complain
about the XPT and it's shortcomings.

>After that I preferred the plane at several times the cost
>or my car.

How dare you prefer to receive what you are paying for, rather than a slow,
dirty and uncomfortable alternative? How dare you refuse to put up with
squalor?

>I can remember going out to photograph it in the Hills in
>1981 and reflecting that it was a wonder it was still going.
>That it's lasted till now is amazing.

Not really - there will always be some who cannot afford the alternatives.

Dave