Re: alt.binaries.rail.australia idea. any support?

Freight_man wrote in message <878pa5$903$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...

>--
>http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/
>Foundation President and Co-Founder
>Hobsons Bay Model Railway Club Inc.
>Operators of Australia's only 'Australian' Model Railway Show
>Every Easter in Melbourne.
>and my page
>http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/rods
>David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
>7nPl4.31$i33.547964@news0.optus.net.au">news:7nPl4.31$i33.547964@news0.optus.net.au...
>> Rex Manning (mailto:RENEZELLWEGER@amygrant.freeservers.com) won a Nobel
>Prize for literature by writing:
>> > i am thinking of writing a CFD for the afforementoned group. any
support
>> > here?
>>
>> Maybe, but you'll get very little support from the news admins. Binaries
>> newsgroups are a total anachronism.
>>
>> Cheers
>> David
>
>No wonder some long time users call you 'GOD'

But in this case, he is right - what is the point in posting a picture that
travels to all news servers in the world (regardless of who wants it or not)
and only remains there for a few days at best (some news servers limit their
binaries groups to less than 24 hours retention) when you can post the same
picture to a free webspace, post the URL to a mainstream group, along with a
description of the photo, thus allowing people to get it if they want it (as
well as vastly increased retention times - I can get posts dating back to
August in aus.rail on this server) as well as providing some stats about the
number of people who get it?

Dave