[VIC] Preservation (was: UP liveried loco in Vic)

Mark Bau wrote:

> Let's just say that Seymour do a much better job than Steamrail, I never
> said they were perfect.

I agree, SRHC is the best of the mainline preservation groups.

> A discreet nameplate is much more preferable than the wholesale vandalism
> than Steamrail has often done.

I agree to this as well. I prefer the nameplate to the headboard and strange colour
schemes but I would like to see the nameplates removed, then Seymour would have
some of the best preserved examples of VR motive power in the state. There is
really no need for the nameplate on the outside of the loco. If they really have to
name the locos, then why can't they put a nameplate in the cab instead of on the
outside.

> GNRS don't enter into the equation as they
> have their own corporate identity to display.

But apart from the non-profit vs commercial side to this, what is the difference
between Steamrail and GNRS? Steamrail is clearly trying to create their own
identity through their colour schemes and the headboard. A preservation group
should aim to present their collection in a condition that is representative of the
VR, not their own modern fantasy interpretation of it.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au