Re: Wheaton Metro Escalator; 2nd Longest Anywhere?

Sandy Smith <smiths@pobox.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Those are characteristics of rapid-transit subways as commonly understood.

> But the service is not set up to provide similarly frequent service to all
> points on the system

Neither is the Philedaphia Subway as a far as I'm aware.... the
Broad/Ridge spur doens't get the same service as the "main line"

> I don't know for sure, but I'm sure

You're either sure or you aren't....!

> that the rail cars that operate on Sydney's metropolitan rail service are
> designed to offer as many seats as possible

They aren't.

The suburban cars have logitudinal seating at the ends and 3 + 2
crosswise seating in on the two levels of the double deck section,
with large vestibules designed for standing passengers adjoining wide
doorways for quick loading.

I repeat, if you think that Philedelphia has a subway service, so does
Sydney, and its getting larger decade by decade.

Cheers,

Bill