Re: Wheaton Metro Escalator; 2nd Longest Anywhere?

In article <FG%%5.26335$xW4.204299@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Daniel
Bowen" <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote:

> Just another reason that Australia has the biggest/tallest/highest/longest
> [just about everything] in the southern hemisphere.

Except its biggest city.  That's São Paulo, Brazil.

And while Australian regional-rail services tend to run underground in the
city centers, with intervals between trains short enough to offer
transit-style service, it doesn't have subways as commonly understood.

I think the largest subway system in the Southern Hemisphere is in Buenos
Aires, Argentina.  I'm sure it's the oldest.  I don't know whether São
Paulo has opened one yet; I know Rio de Janeiro has -- the first subway in
the tropics, IIRC.

--
Sandy Smith, University Relations / 215.898.1423 / smiths@pobox.upenn.edu
Managing Editor, _Pennsylvania Current_           current@pobox.upenn.edu

"Believe me. You wouldn't want to go here if *your* mother was the
president."
              --Penn President Judith Rodin on her son Alex, off to Duke