Re: Wheaton Metro Escalator; 2nd Longest Anywhere?

On Sun, 24 Dec 2000 12:09:21 GMT, billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill
Bolton) wrote:
: Sandy Smith <smiths@pobox.upenn.edu> wrote:
:
: > Those are characteristics of rapid-transit subways as commonly understood.
: > But the service is not set up to provide similarly frequent service to all
: > points on the system
:
: Neither is the Philedaphia Subway as a far as I'm aware.... the
: Broad/Ridge spur doens't get the same service as the "main line"
:
: > I don't know for sure, but I'm sure
:
: You're either sure or you aren't....!
:
: > that the rail cars that operate on Sydney's metropolitan rail service are
: > designed to offer as many seats as possible
:
: They aren't.
:
: The suburban cars have logitudinal seating at the ends and 3 + 2
: crosswise seating in on the two levels of the double deck section,
: with large vestibules designed for standing passengers adjoining wide
: doorways for quick loading.
:
: I repeat, if you think that Philedelphia has a subway service, so does
: Sydney, and its getting larger decade by decade.

I'm not sure we need another full debate on what constitutes a "subway". We've
had them repeatedly in the past, and nothing much seems to get settled.

A year or so ago some twit kept insisting that the Tremont Street tunnel in
Boston isn't a subway, even though it was the first transit line to which the
term "subway" was ever applied. If the system that invented the term can't
continue to use it in the same context, all further discussion would seem to
be too subjective to be useful.
--