Re: Wodonga gets boost in railway move deal

----------
In article <3a37475d$0$19404$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
"Rod[comtrain]" <freight_man@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Maurie,
>Brack's does not seem to believe F/A has ANY rights to the BG network, apart
>from the right to pay acess charges.
>Freight Australia, thought they had recieved sole access rights from the
>Kennett Government, as part of the purchase price.
>ALP legal advice is that Bracks can let ATN in, without compensating F/A.
>If this still stands, F/A will not want the North East converted at all.

>From a meeting I was at where John Hearch, involved with the standardisation
of the state, spoke, I asked him what FA thought of standardising the system
and his reply was that there were things they both did and didn't like about
the situation.

For the 'greater good' it makes sense to SG the NE and release the BG
formation to ARTC. Whether the ARTC makes use of the potential capacity
offered is another story. FA I believe have been quoted in regional areas
(can't recall my source) saying that SG will lead to line closures as ATN
etc will come in, pick the eyes out of the big grain terminals and leave the
smaller less profitable ones to FA. THis seems a reasonable assumption based
on what has occured to date.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne