Re: Drivers and guards to be sacked.

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
399F1E65.43D8F159@ozemail.com.au">news:399F1E65.43D8F159@ozemail.com.au...
> pdwyer wrote:

>> Speaking of 'too bright' signals, are these LED's? Dimmers
>> wouldn't help those, but if they've stuck in the medium or
>> long range type, instead of the standard, Your complaints
>> (get your friends to write in too!) could get the type
>> changed.

> Yes.  They are LEDs.  Why wouldn't dimmers help?  If we can
> have pulsating LED indications (dim/bright) why can't we
> have permanently dim indications at night?

Although I haven't pulled one of the Safetran LED's apart (looks like there
is to much silicon inside), I think each unit has it's own switchmode power
supply inside, so over a wide power supply voltage variation the voltage to
the LED's remains constant.  The Xing sidelights certainly use this
approach.

So you can't reliably dim them, only on or off.

--
HXP1
(now with v6.08 software)