Re: [Melbourne Australia] Mont Albert to Box Hill and Docklands tramway extensions

> I will most certainly be travelling to Melbourne for the opening of that
> line -- I was brought up in Box Hill and many was the time I walked to
> and from the Mont Albert terminus to catch the tram there, often wishing
> the line would be extended to its logical destination of Box Hill. The
> extension is 40 years overdue, but of course, 40 years ago, nobody was
> extending tram lines.

The only reason the tram line was never extended was due to the
VictoriaRailways being able to veto any transport proposal (both bus and
tram) that might compete with the railways.

There are a number of logical bus and tram route extensions that have never
happened, but should now happen because in theory the Met runs everything.

However it won't now happen, as we now have private tramways, buslines and
railways who are now competing for passengers.

The window of opportunity for change has largely been lost!

Cheers
John Wayman