Re: [Melbourne Australia] Mont Albert to Box Hill and Docklands tramway extensions

Clive Mottram wrote:

> I have started up a page for Melbourne, Australia's Mont Albert to Box Hill
> tramway extension.  At the moment there is no visible work to report.
> However, I have included a couple of pix of the area as it currently is,
> plus a  map.

Clive, it's interesting to see there still seems to be confusion as to
where the new terminus will be. The Melway map you publish mentions
"proposed tram extension to Station Street" but seems to show the
extension ending at Elgar Road which is well before Station Street!

However everything I have read suggests the line will end at Market
Street which is the access road to Box Hill Station and immediately
before the Station Street intersection. Personally I would have the line
turn into Market Street and go right to the station.

I will most certainly be travelling to Melbourne for the opening of that
line -- I was brought up in Box Hill and many was the time I walked to
and from the Mont Albert terminus to catch the tram there, often wishing
the line would be extended to its logical destination of Box Hill. The
extension is 40 years overdue, but of course, 40 years ago, nobody was
extending tram lines.

The extension will also improve safety -- that stub terminus at the very
busy Union Road intersection is probaby the most unsafe tram terminus in
Melbourne -- not even a safety zone there for passengers or to shield
waiting trams.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand