[VIC] Wooden cars at high speed (was: [VIC] Parallel run)

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Maybe in the case of a Comeng, since it's only frontal protection is the
> thin fibreglass front, but when you put something decent up there like a
> Hitachi or any loco, lets see who comes off second best then.
>
> Perhaps it's time for railfans and groups to try and lobby the appropriate
> authority to bring the speed to at least 100. Even if a bit of work is
> required to do so.
>
> I've been in E cars going well over 100, and I felt pretty safe at the
> time.

The most crazy thing about all of this is the fact the wooden air-conditioned
cars can do 115kph but SRHC's AE's are restricted to 80kph, even though they
have the same type of bogies (ex SOP roller bearing bogies). Have the wooden
air-conditioned cars got any structural additions that I'm not aware of? If
they haven't then why can't wooden non air-conditioned cars with roller
bearing bogies travel at 115kph (or at least 100kph)?

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au