Re: [VIC] Parallel run (was: Headboard 2000)

James Brook said in message <38F2F9C0.C67D0632@ozemail.com.au>, I
therefore quote:

>I wouldn't be suprised if the 38's had a "Millennium Aurora" headboard
>similar to the "Bicentennial Train" headboard in 1988. I hope they don't
>put a huge headboard on it like the one they had on "The Flying
>Scotsman" when it departed Melbourne for the trip to Alice Springs. That
>was just too big and it looked hideous. I would be very suprised if it
>had no headboard at all, but that would be my preference out of all the
>options.

Themed headboards for this occasion don't really worry me. A lot of tours
in the past, according to photos were run with a circular headboard
bolted/stuck to the boiler door and read things like "LAST TRAIN TO OUTER
WEST UPPER WOOP WOOP HEIGHTS - Apr 1 1967". What I don't want to see is
3801 ltd or Steamrail propaganda plastered to the front of the locos. For a
special occasion like this it wouldn't hurt financially. Put a propaganda
sideboard on the middle car if it really bothers that much.

>As for the Steamrail train. I think it would be more appropriate without
>the headboard. Surely running R761 without it for one trip wouldn't ruin
>Steamrail's finances, especially as the mobile Steamrail billboard
>(S313) will be on the train in the morning. Unfortunately you can't get
>rid of the headboard on R711, but at least it is a much better design
>than the Steamrail headboards. Personally I think R711 looked better
>before they put the headboard and nameplate on it.

R711 is really out of the equation here, it's a commercial service loco
hence any modification headboard, sideboard, backboard, roofboard or
floorboard is relevant. In the event that WCR ever give it away for
preservation, only then it shouldn't change.

>Does anyone know if S313 will be on the train during the parallel run
>back to Melbourne, I hope they leave it in Wodonga as it would wreck the
>look of the broad gauge train. Also, does anyone know what type of
>carriages are being used for the first class non-aircon option. If it
>isn't the BKL, AK or a wooden car I won't be too happy. I think
>Steamrail should have put it on the brochure. Even when I rang up the
>Steamrail info line, the woman on the other end said she wasn't sure but
>she thought it was the SRHC's AE cars. I would be suprised if this was
>the case.

As far as I know, this is supposed to be double-R's (??) - Now come on,
S313 doesn't look *that* bad, does it? Remember, it's only temporary. I
quite like it (though, I did get a strange look when I said it should have
had the green/gold met livery put on it - not surprisingly).

Regards

Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski. / Email: mailto:mk@netstra.com.au
Rail Enthusiast.  / Web: http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk

 ** Don't steal. The government hates competition **