Re: [VIC] Parallel run (was: Headboard 2000)

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Themed headboards for this occasion don't really worry me. A lot of tours
> in the past, according to photos were run with a circular headboard
> bolted/stuck to the boiler door and read things like "LAST TRAIN TO OUTER
> WEST UPPER WOOP WOOP HEIGHTS - Apr 1 1967". What I don't want to see is
> 3801 ltd or Steamrail propaganda plastered to the front of the locos. For a
> special occasion like this it wouldn't hurt financially. Put a propaganda
> sideboard on the middle car if it really bothers that much.

I also don't mind headboards for a special occasion, as long as they look nice.
I would still prefer to see no headboards, but these aren't anywhere near as
bad as the generic propoganda headboards Steamrail and 3801 ltd use.

> R711 is really out of the equation here, it's a commercial service loco
> hence any modification headboard, sideboard, backboard, roofboard or
> floorboard is relevant. In the event that WCR ever give it away for
> preservation, only then it shouldn't change.

I was just saying I liked the look of the loco without the headboard. A british
style headboard just doesn't look right in that position. If this loco was ever
donated to a preservation group then I would want to see the loco in a
condition that is representative of it's service with WCR or VR. Obviously it
would be preserved in it's WCR "super R" condition, so then I wouldn't want the
headboard removed unless WCR did it while it was in service with them.

> As far as I know, this is supposed to be double-R's (??) - Now come on,
> S313 doesn't look *that* bad, does it? Remember, it's only temporary. I
> quite like it

I hate it. It's a Steamrail propoganda version of the VR and Santa Fe liveries.
I can't wait to see it back in the VR livery (or V/Line in the future). I also
wouldn't object to it being painted in the WCR livery, even though this
particular loco never had that livery while in service.

Unfortunately I also found out the tour is using the high speed steel cars, so
unfortunately we all have to put up with tin cans and windows that are hard to
see out of. Luckily I booked first class non-airconditioned so I'm in the AK. I
feel sorry for the people on the wrong side of the BK cars. Is Steamrail trying
to lose customers? The train will also look really pathetic with a mixture of
WCR, VR and AN Explorer liveries instead of the red livery on the E and W cars.
Unfortunately this isn't 1988 when both trains looked really nice. R761 with a
full train of red cars and 3801 with a train of brown cars, before they started
painting 3801 ltd on the sides.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: