[VIC] Parallel run (was: Headboard 2000)

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Just out of interest. Is the paralell run of the 38's and R's on Good
> Friday going to require the use of headboards on the two lead locos? (Or
> even one of them?)

I wouldn't be suprised if the 38's had a "Millennium Aurora" headboard
similar to the "Bicentennial Train" headboard in 1988. I hope they don't put
a huge headboard on it like the one they had on "The Flying Scotsman" when
it departed Melbourne for the trip to Alice Springs. That was just too big
and it looked hideous. I would be very suprised if it had no headboard at
all, but that would be my preference out of all the options.

As for the Steamrail train. I think it would be more appropriate without the
headboard. Surely running R761 without it for one trip wouldn't ruin
Steamrail's finances, especially as the mobile Steamrail billboard (S313)
will be on the train in the morning. Unfortunately you can't get rid of the
headboard on R711, but at least it is a much better design than the
Steamrail headboards. Personally I think R711 looked better before they put
the headboard and nameplate on it.

Does anyone know if S313 will be on the train during the parallel run back
to Melbourne, I hope they leave it in Wodonga as it would wreck the look of
the broad gauge train. Also, does anyone know what type of carriages are
being used for the first class non-aircon option. If it isn't the BKL, AK or
a wooden car I won't be too happy. I think Steamrail should have put it on
the brochure. Even when I rang up the Steamrail info line, the woman on the
other end said she wasn't sure but she thought it was the SRHC's AE cars. I
would be suprised if this was the case.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: