Re: [Vic] Alamein Line

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 20:07:04 +1000, "Bradley Torr"
<btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:

>It might be worth noting here that the Chadstone Shopping Centre is not
>actually in Chadstone! It's in Malvern East on the northern side of
>Dandenong Road - crossing the highway, you come into Oakleigh. The
>south-western corner of Chadstone (according to my 1998 UBD directory) is
>about 300 metres to the east of the eastern extremity of the mall where an
>unnamed creek crosses Warrigal Road. The site of Waverley Road railway
>station would have been even further away from the suburb of Chadstone!

When my family was living in Clayton in the 1950's, my father used to
take us on drives into the City along Dandenong road fairly regularly.

I remember that in those days the road between Oakleigh and
Murrumbeena was just 2-lanes with a concrete surface except for a
small tarred section half-way across the road and just wide enough for
a railway track. It was only years later that I realised that this was
where the Outer Circle went through. The location was at the bottom of
the dip past Murrumbeena Road, approximately 200-300 metres from Poath
Road which is where Chadstone shopping centre is. The road was lower
then than it is now and the "dip" was therefore more accentuated which
is probably why it stuck in my mind. There is a linear park on one
side which follows the O.C. route from Hughesdale, and a car-yard on
the other side nowadays.

It's funny but, to me, the remains of the Rosstown route were always
more obvious than the Outer Circle at Hughesdale even though only one
train ever used it.

Les Brown
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to loose.