Re: [Vic] Alamein Line

The line crossed this bridge to a station called Waverley Road between
Waverley and Dandenong Roads and then continued on to Oakleigh via
Hughesdale. The right of way is now mainly reserves, and you can see where
it ran by following the green reserves in Melways.

The book "The Outer Circle Railway - A history of the Oakleigh to Fairfield
Railway" by Beardsell & Herbert (ARHS Vic Division 1979) states on page 77
that the Black  Bridge may have received its name from a coating of black
tar which covered its piles.

If it still existed today, this station would probably have been renamed
Chadstone, as the site is very close to this major shopping centre.

Cheers
John Wayman

"Christopher_Martin GORDON" <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
> : > Does anyone know why the overhead wiring for the Alamein line
continues
> : > past Alamein to a point just north of the Malvern Valley Golf Course?
>
> It is just a power feeder from the Alamein line to the Glen Waverley line
> I don't know when it was put in.
>
> : > Was this done back in the 40's when the line was extended from
Ashburton