Re: [Vic] Alamein Line

John Wayman wrote in message <38eee3a5$0$6528@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...

>If it still existed today, this station would probably have been renamed
>Chadstone, as the site is very close to this major shopping centre.

It might be worth noting here that the Chadstone Shopping Centre is not
actually in Chadstone! It's in Malvern East on the northern side of
Dandenong Road - crossing the highway, you come into Oakleigh. The
south-western corner of Chadstone (according to my 1998 UBD directory) is
about 300 metres to the east of the eastern extremity of the mall where an
unnamed creek crosses Warrigal Road. The site of Waverley Road railway
station would have been even further away from the suburb of Chadstone!

Then again, a thing I notice about Melburnian's geographical identity is
that their defintion of a suburb is much more fluid than it is here in NSW.
In Sydney (and Newcastle and Wollongong too I might add), you are either in
a particular suburb or you aren't. However, you ask someone in Melbourne
where they live and they'll say "Altona" or "Seaholme" or "Hobsons Bay" and
they believe that all three are suitable enough. I guess that's how you get
situations in Melbourne where a railway station isn't even within the
boundaries of its namesake, e.g. Carnegie, Toorak.

Regards,
bradley.