Re: [Vic] Alamein Line

$6528@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...

> >If it still existed today, this station would probably have been
renamed
> >Chadstone, as the site is very close to this major shopping centre.
>
> It might be worth noting here that the Chadstone Shopping Centre is
not
> actually in Chadstone! It's in Malvern East on the northern side of
> Dandenong Road - crossing the highway, you come into Oakleigh. The
> south-western corner of Chadstone (according to my 1998 UBD
directory) is
> about 300 metres to the east of the eastern extremity of the mall
where an
> unnamed creek crosses Warrigal Road.
I think Chadstone is big enough to cover both Chadstone and East
Malvern:-) how about some extension of tram lines to Chadstone shop??I
noticed there are 2 lines terminated nearby. And any extension can be
easily done.

>The site of Waverley Road railway
> station would have been even further away from the suburb of
Chadstone!

> Then again, a thing I notice about Melburnian's geographical identity
is
> that their defintion of a suburb is much more fluid than it is here
in NSW.
> In Sydney (and Newcastle and Wollongong too I might add), you are
either in
> a particular suburb or you aren't. However, you ask someone in
Melbourne
> where they live and they'll say "Altona" or "Seaholme" or "Hobsons
Bay" and
> they believe that all three are suitable enough. I guess that's how
you get
> situations in Melbourne where a railway station isn't even within the
> boundaries of its namesake, e.g. Carnegie, Toorak.
>
> Regards,
> bradley.
Yes! exactly where "Bell" and "Eaglemont", "Alamein" are?? they are not
exactly places.....they just given named because it's suitable to named
after that. "General Motor" no longer at General motor also...

--
Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/