Re: Melbourne Public transport for Special events

Michael <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
8E4EB75F4telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net">news:8E4EB75F4telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net...
> Hi,
>
> Try tell that to the many tens to hundreds of thousands of Victorians who
> have to work a 6 day week and don't get any other time to do the shopping.
> Sometimes it's very convenient to have Sunday trading anyway, I know it
has
> certainly done good for me.
>
> I fully agree with Paul's comments re buses on weekends. Where I used to
> live, the only way I could go shopping was to catch a bus to Northland
> (sometime's the shops in Reservoir just didn't quite cut it). During the
> weekdays it was great to have the 555 bus service (Epping-Northland) at
tne
> end of my street. As for Saturdays the bus service was that pittiful it
was
> quicker to take a bike from Reservoir to Northland. As for Sunday, what
bus
> service?
>
> Unfortunately for you Ben, Sunday trading is here to stay, since it is
very
> unlikely for it to go back to 6 days a week trading. If shops did not find
> it profitable to open on Sunday's, they wouldn't have (in most cases,
> sometimes the larger shopping centres like Southland, Northland, etc force
> the shop as part of the lease to open 7 days. At least this was the case a
> while ago...)
>
> Getting back to rail, we all remember Upfield had no Sunday service up
> until recently. Two weeks, no more, after it reopened, I witnessed a down
> Upfield train sitting at Flinders Street on a Sunday evening, about 7pm,
> almost packed. Who says extra services won't bring in more passengers and
> money? They just have to try.
>
> Unfortunately this wasn't the case under a government run railway, they
> were more interested in getting people into cars> Regards
> Michael
Michael,

Surely the decission to run Upfield trains on Sunday was made by THE
GOVERNMENT OWNED RAILWAY???. They have only been privately owned for 4 weeks
now.

Bob.