Re: Melbourne Public transport for Special events

Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:

> "Christopher Sims" <simsch@rvib2.rvib.org.au> writes:
>
> >Consider this.  we have the most special events in this city, yet on the
> >weekends that such events take place we don't put on any extra transport.  I
> >know that we have the night-rider , however, at the end of the day those
> >busses don't use standard roots and you still have to probably get a taxi to
> >your final destination.  I believe that we need to ensure that for the up
> >coming Spring racing carnival we have transport that runs around the clock.
> >By this I mean all of the trams and trains should run all night.
>
> ...and how about buses, too?
>
> It always struck me as slightly ridiculous that outer-suburban bus routes
> stop at 6.30-7pm at night, and in many cases don't even run on Sundays.
>
> All you have to do is leave work an hour or so late, and you find yourself
> having to walk or catch a taxi after getting to your destination railway
> station.
>
> And given that Sunday shopping has become so popular - why can't we have a
> public transport service to match?

Coz the private companies are only interested in profit.

Sunday shopping is silly anyway.  There aren't enough people spending money to
require another day of open shops. Sure some people find it more convenient to
be able to shop late at night or on Sunday, but most shops can't afford the
extra day. Perhaps if shops were closed on Sunday the shops could afford to have
more staff every other day to provide better service, so unemployment would go
down.... eek, that sounds reasonable, better stop now.

--
Ben Thomas - Melbourne, Australia
23 - '98 Nissan Pulsar SLX sedan - PGI 235