Re: Melbourne Public transport for Special events

Hi,

Try tell that to the many tens to hundreds of thousands of Victorians who
have to work a 6 day week and don't get any other time to do the shopping.
Sometimes it's very convenient to have Sunday trading anyway, I know it has
certainly done good for me.

I fully agree with Paul's comments re buses on weekends. Where I used to
live, the only way I could go shopping was to catch a bus to Northland
(sometime's the shops in Reservoir just didn't quite cut it). During the
weekdays it was great to have the 555 bus service (Epping-Northland) at tne
end of my street. As for Saturdays the bus service was that pittiful it was
quicker to take a bike from Reservoir to Northland. As for Sunday, what bus
service?

Unfortunately for you Ben, Sunday trading is here to stay, since it is very
unlikely for it to go back to 6 days a week trading. If shops did not find
it profitable to open on Sunday's, they wouldn't have (in most cases,
sometimes the larger shopping centres like Southland, Northland, etc force
the shop as part of the lease to open 7 days. At least this was the case a
while ago...)

Getting back to rail, we all remember Upfield had no Sunday service up
until recently. Two weeks, no more, after it reopened, I witnessed a down
Upfield train sitting at Flinders Street on a Sunday evening, about 7pm,
almost packed. Who says extra services won't bring in more passengers and
money? They just have to try.

Unfortunately this wasn't the case under a government run railway, they
were more interested in getting people into cars. Rightly so however, just
look how much they are making from petrol taxes, registration, now road
tolls and other bits. Roads make them more money.

Regards
Michael