Re: Public transport making money (Was: Re: Metcard Xpress and Plastic Tickets (was: Metcard Machines and Tickets))

Liz Irwin <eirwin@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
37F1E66D.AC7E11A3@alphalink.com.au">news:37F1E66D.AC7E11A3@alphalink.com.au...
> I like what happens on the Brisbane trains (at least it did a few years
> ago when I was last there).  A ticket seller walks up and down the
> train,  At the same time he provides security (he had a walkie-talkie
> etc), sells the tickets, checks the tickets (selling tickets is the next
> logical step for someone minus a ticket), gave directions and generally
> made life better for travellers.  I would assume that his presence would
> also put off the messier types.  Oh, and I nearly forgot - food and
> drink of any kind were not allowed to be consumed on the trains there.
> No wonder they were so clean!
>
> Liz

The roving ticket seller does not exist in Brisbane now. They have been
replaced by a machine on each platform which dispenses tickets. You now must
have a valid ticket before boarding a train. The trouble is, that the ticket
vending machines can only handle coins so if you don't have sufficient coins
and the remainder in notes, tough you have to go somewhere else to get
change (there are no change machines at suburban stations). The roving
ticket seller would not travel on the one train all the time. They would
sell tickets on one train, get off at a station along the route and then
catch the next train either going in the return direction or going the same
way as their previous train. If you were late for your train you could get
straight on and purchase your ticket at your destination (eg Central) or off
a roving ticket seller.
Now that you must have a valid ticket before boarding we have roving ticket
inspectors. These travel in pairs and inspect tickets (obviously). If you
are caught without a valid ticket it can mean a $120 fine. You now have to
arrive at your boarding station in plenty of time to catch your train and
you must have plenty of change in your pocket. If there is a que of people
waiting to use the ticket vending machine you'd better hope that they all
know how to use it and don't dither about as this can also cause you to miss
your train as you will be still trying to buy a ticket.

canetram59