Re: Public transport making money (Was: Re: Metcard Xpress and Plastic Tickets (was: Metcard Machines and Tickets))

Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
8E5017813telstraNews@news.mel.ihug.com.au">news:8E5017813telstraNews@news.mel.ihug.com.au...
> Unfortunately, it is a case of money still. The railways barely churn
> through enough money to keep going. Therefore it boils down to: a costly
> experience, or an ugly experience. People tend to go for the ugly
> experience. [Where ugly != graffiti, rotting food/vomit/urine/faeces ib
the
> floor]
>
> Regards
> Money.

Yes it is an Ugly experience,but surely with some money thrown in the right
direction things could change for the better,with out having to adopt the
Asian style of using the rattan or cane on wrong doers.
Some of my suggestions follow.
Employ teams of casual staff(no.2or3)at terminal stations through out the
metro area to basic-clean trains on arrival during the day.$12p/h x 8 hrs
=$96 x 3 =$288 per terminal.
Not a lot of money is it.
Run education campaign perhaps along the line of Feet on seat= Smack in
mouth :-)
Get across to passengers that its in their interests to have clean
comfortable and safe trains,and that if they are detected abusing that
interest then they are going to pay.(or their parents will)
For those of you who say this will never work,think again,it is possible to
change behaviour,it takes time and effort but you can get through to the
majority e.g drink driving,seat belts,no smoking on public transport,etc.
going right back to spittoons in the floor of the carriage,and adjusting
your dress before leaving the Men's toilet.
After a fair time for travellers to get used to the new deal,hit the ones
who mess up with a cattle prod ie. force them to work with the basic -clean
teams at terminal stations at week ends,I am sure that once they had spent a
week end scraping shit of seats and floors they would have a different view
of what is acceptable behaviour.