Re: DOO In Sydney? 4D and DOO

Railway Rasputin <bob@fastlink.com.au> wrote in message
37F1E38D.55A0E8B6@fastlink.com.au">news:37F1E38D.55A0E8B6@fastlink.com.au...

> Exnarc wrote:
> >

> > Time will prove one of us wrong!!!
> >
> > Bob.
> >
> True.
> To get another angle of how it works up here, look at the train radio.
> Its taken 7 or so years and we still can't use it properly.
<snip>

Train radio is a generic railway problem, our units scan half of the time,
you can't always get a signal even at Flinders Street, so there is little
diference to Sydney there!!!

> As David has said 2003 is the the year or there abouts for the start of
> DOO. Thats if they are on time. (I remember back in 1996 they said "By
> 1997 the guards will not make announcements all will be done automaticly
> via DVA. Well its 1999 now almost 2000 guards are still talking on PAs.)

Yes 2003 is probably a more realistic date, as even if the decision is made
the day after the Olympics it would take a couple of years to do Cab mods
(and you will need them), fit doors with DOO features, rewrite the rule
books to eliminate the guards duties, negotiate with the RT&BU, re deploy
the existing staff, the list goes on.

In Melbourne the Driver makes PA announcements!!!!

<snip>

> So even if DOO magicly appears in 2003 you are still going to have
> someone in the 2nd half. You could also use their bullshit excuse that
> no one can contact the driver. (Tangaras have help points in each
> vestibule.)

Fix the problems with BP continuity, so the brakes apply is train devides,
(I find it hard to accept that OH&S laws would allow them to run trains with
this problem)???

> Ok, so by a miracle they have got DOO up and running in 2003, which is
> highly doubtful because there are bound to be more reasons than the ones
> I have listed, then the education of the public will have to commence. I
> don't know about Victoria but we have some really stupid passengers up
> here, in fact we had a thread about it once. Also during peak the trains
are almost all 8 cars.

Our are 6 cars and as someone pointed out, we have more doors in 6 cars than
you do in 8 cars. Those stupid passengers you talk about must have moved up
your way to get away from Jeff???

>Correct me if I am
> wrong but even Melbourne have another person on the train during peak.

You are wrong on this point, even during the peak Melbourne Sparks are DOO,
no one else on the train. The only other on train staff are a handfull of
Customer Service Employees who are really just ticket checkers, they rarely
venture out during the peak, and once they have checked tickets they move to
another train, they have no Safeworking or train running duties at all.

> If you listen to the union, they reckon the guard will take on the role
> of train guard security guard, ticket snapper, ticket seller and
> infomation guide, as well as being able to preform some safeworking, ie
> move the train and place detonators etc. They will be renamed "train
> manager" or some bullshit thing and get a hugh pay rise. The source of
> this info is the union rep in Sydney.
> Call them what ever you want but they are still effectivly a train
> guard.

Yes we heard all that here but in never happened.

> In short the bungling that occurs up here is the reason why there will
> be guards in 10 years time although their roles might change slightly.

As I said,"One of us will be proved wrong in time".

Bob.