Re: DOO In Sydney?

Bill Bolton <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in message
RXztN=YPH1fObNCRb3bHCaXMltyk@4ax.com">news:RXztN=YPH1fObNCRb3bHCaXMltyk@4ax.com...
> "Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>
> > They aren't so in those cases you use CCTV Monitors on the platforms, as
> > does Melbourne now. The provision of vandal proof roller doors are of
cause
> > essential as are hoods to shield the screens during bright sunlight.
Either
> > way its cheaper than providing CCTV everywhere!!!
>
> The technology exists today to readily put flat display video screens
> in the drivers cab, then there's no vandalisation problems or daylight
> visibility problems.

Get real - in Sydney, we are talking about drivers cabs on half the fleet -
that is over 1000 cabs. We are also talking about cameras at every station -
all 300 of them? Then there is the problem of interference between
platforms - what if you have a situation like North Sydney, platform 2 and
3, with both trains leaving in the up direction, so the transmitters would
bahe to be at the Sydney end of the platfrom for both platforms. The chances
of a train picking up an erroneous signal are too great. (I know, it SHOULD
be apparent to the driver that he or she is looking at the wrong side, but
we cannot rely on that).

DaveP