Re: Melb 4D fails for last time

Roderick Smith wrote:

> Melbourne's double-deck set was the quitest, smoothest and thermally-best
> set on the system.  I don't know why all the posters are so abusive.

It all boils down to the fact that Melburnians can not handle change....

ie: Metcard, Kennet winning the previous election (the got it right this
time)...

> The
> seats were firm (Sydney slashproof), but that is a feature which can be
> changed very easily: firm seats can be put in single-deck trains; soft ones
> can be placed in double-deck ones.  Double deck is the way to go to
> increase capacity.

I agree. Admittedly the infrastructure is not currently designed for it on all
lines (ie: Jolimont Tunnels). Imagine all Lilydale / Belgrave services with DD
stock on them.. You may even be able to lengthen the 2 min headway on the
current timetable during the peak..

Nah... the travelling public would never go for it...--

--
Thanks,

Tony Gatt.
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~baulko