Re: Exhibition Street Bridge and City Link

: > but the problem of
: >people changing lanes then needs addressing.

: Why?

: If it's a unique radio signal to a unique e-tag, who cares which lane
: they're in?  It's only the transmission back to the e-tag that we're
: talking about.

If?  I am not sure it is, I think it is a selection of 2-3 freqs, then a
unique code is sent.  So you could send back further down the road to the
e-tag (I think).

The transmission back is alright, it is just not having the *full*
information before the e-tag is out of range.  (Back to the tolling
computer just being too slow).

Think about all the checks it has to do each time your e-tag is scanned.
* Check e-tag (stolen, active etc)
* Car size
* Number Plate (then check it with a list with that e-tag)
* Money in account

All that in about 1 second.

Can it be done in time or not?
(The current problem is the tolling computer is too slow, ie checking money etc
takes too long)

: So when my e-tag beeps once under the gantries at the moment, it's a
: figment of the tag's imagination that the data has gone and come back
: correctly?

Currently e-tags are scanned, checked to see if they are active and beep
once if they are.  They are not checking car size, number plate, money in
account (they are, but this is not processed for sending back the one beep)

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

e-mail: cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au