Re: Contracts [was tram line extension in Melbourne?

> I am glad to hear it.
>
> The Labour Party about to be elected in the country in which I sadly
> live has promised to dishonour and renege on many contracts signed by
> the current government. I am glad to hear that Labor in Australia
> honours contracts. Maybe someone in Oz Labor could contact our next
> prime minister, Helen Clark of NZ Labour and tell her about the law of
> contract, before even more NZ jobs vanish to Australia.

Well, the labor party could have stopped the selloff by announcing that
when a labor govt was elected in victoria (certain to happen sooner or
later), they would compolsorily re-aquire the privatised entities at
the price paid for them. Then nobody would have bought them.

The state parliament has unlimited legislative power. It could tear up
contracts or confiscate infrastructure with no requirement for
compensation.

And sometimes I wish it would - my tram was delayed 10 mins tonight by
some woman standing on the steps holding it up for her friend who was
shopping. THe driver wasn't interested in dealing with it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.