Re: High and low stations (was submarine stations)

Ronald BESDANSKY wrote in message <_WuP3.60$we.279@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
>> * The highest operating main-line railway station seems to be Newnes Jct.
>When was Newnes Junction re-opened as an "operating main-line railway

OK, a fair cop!

Now I've checked which of the many former highest stations are actually
listed in current CityRail and Countrylink timetables, a corrected list of
highest currently-open main-line stations is ...

 Katoomba - 3336 ft. / 1017 m.
 Uralla - 3337 ft. / 1017 m.
 Walcha Road - 3387 ft. / 1032 m.
 Mt Victoria - 3424 ft. / 1044 m.
 Medlow Bath - 3446 ft. / 1050 m.
 Blackheath - 3495 ft. / 1065 m.
 Bell - 3501 ft. / 1067 m.

BTW, I looked up the timetable from Armidale to Newcastle at
http://www.countrylink.nsw.gov.au and discovered that there's an overnight
stay at Broadmeadow if you book with Countrylink!

Journey time: 24 hours, 35 mins     $59   $82

 Armidale Mon 09:10
 Broadmeadow Mon 14:39
 Armidale XPL
 Broadmeadow Tue 09:30