Re: Extra Blacktown platform (was: St Leonards, NSW)

Garry Hoddinett <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
PNvP3.912$P3.1110@ozemail.com.au">news:PNvP3.912$P3.1110@ozemail.com.au...

> There is room to the east of Platform 1 to enable this platform to be
> converted to an island type platform.  In fact until they built the
commuter
> car park there was a stub track for about 2/3 carriage lengths at the
> northern end of Platform 1.  This was a remnant of the siding that used to
> enable steam trains to access the depot.  This siding could have been
> extended along the eastern side of Platform 1 to join the UP North Shore
> line at the southern end of Hornsby station.  CityRail has long identified
> and wanted this area to build another platform.
>
> Hornsby has a need to turn around trains 365 days per year (366 next
year!)
> 24 hours per day - not for a few weeks in September and October next year.
> There must be something wrong if Blacktown cannot cope with six platforms!

Hornsby also has a huge number of sidings that a train can go to to "turn it
around" - Blacktown does not have this huge number.

Also, the facilities at Hornsby are adequate for current and anticipated
needs, apart from a few peak hours - Blacktown is not adequate for current
and anticipated needs.

The Cumberland line service is a case in point. They run them through to St.
Marys because they cannot terminate them at Blacktown (although why this is
the case, I do not know - why not just terminate them at Blacktown on
platform 1 or 2 and run them up to the yard?).

As for anticipated need, it is not just "a few weeks in September and
October next year" - it is all year. Every time they run the high frequency
service (Rugby League Grand Final, Easter Show, etc.) this platform will be
a huge advanage.

DaveP