Re: St Leonards, NSW

craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick) wrote:

> No they aren't. Bradfield's original city railways plans were to extend 4
> tracks to at least St Leonards with a possible extenstion to Chatswood

Maybe so, but the present double track wanders back and forth over the
4 track right of way to minimise curvature and we know already how
operationally challenging that is in terms of double deck rolling
stock on a steep grade with a tight curve.

To put an further two tracks on the alignment would mean curves even
sharper than those currently in use, which would present some
significant operational issues from the combination of curvature and
grade alone!

Cheers,

Bill