Re: level crossing near misses, was Re: problems at ringwood

david <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote in message
380AA878.7B6E23A7@nmit.vic.edu.au">news:380AA878.7B6E23A7@nmit.vic.edu.au...
> I  cross Cramer St at Preston  four working days a week, and I  shudder at
the
> cars gambles. Those train come around so quick as to have no chance ( the
same
> must be for Bell St as well ).  These days  when the bells go and the
booms
> come down, they do not give enough time to try to clear the crossing (
> something about not holding up the traffic, so we will reduce the warning
time
the spark was doing no more than 5kph, at
> the time of the impact, as to probably not do any damage, and the car
> wasn't exactly small. By the end of the impact, when the train stopped,
> the car was a total mess.

Imagine a fully laden 6 car spark doing this at anywhere between 20kph
and 60kph?

"nah, it can't happen to me

People also think.....
People also think .....
People also think .....
And they may think ...
(Who also saw a car sitting in middle of the level crossing at Glenroy,
last week, while a train was approaching).

Yes as one who drives over many level crossings a day on the steel side I
can only add....
Which of you cross the lines and dont look each way first?
Never trust a mechanical device with your life...
Bells and booms are only any good if they are working!

How could these fools I see every day risk their loved ones, much less
themselves by stopping their motor cars on a level crossing??
It happens all day long at High St Wodonga, and I suffer a near miss at
least twice a week on one of the many crossings around here...

The Point....

PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!
Rod