Re: English Electric car body

John Cleverdon <johnc@cdi.com.au> wrote in message
3807DFBE.482B8301@cdi.com.au">news:3807DFBE.482B8301@cdi.com.au...
> Just to confuse everybody, there are actually *two* "General Electrics".
> There is the American GE, for whom Goninan is the licence-holder, and
there is
> the British/European GEC, now partnered with Alsthom.
> There was also the "Australian General Electric" (right name?) - who took
over
> from EE Australia. AGE built QR's 2350 class and TasRail's ZA class, using
EE
> engines etc. They had no relation to the American GE; I'm not sure if they
had
> any relationship with GEC.
>
> John
The company was called Australian Electrical Industries (AEI). I mentioned
somewhere before that AEI supplied electrical equipment to the BHP plant
where I used to work, EE had supplied the original equipment when the plant
was built in the late 50s. I have also seen equipment made by GEC-AEI so
they had some sort of relationship. My 1971 edition of "Modern Locomotives
in Service on the New South Wales Railways"  shows the NSW 43 class as being
built by AEI.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton